Mobile App Overview
- What is ParkDetroit?
ParkDetroit is an easy and convenient way to pay for parking in Metro Detroit using a mobile phone or web browser.
- What are the benefits of ParkDetroit?
- Pay for parking using your phone without having to go to a meter.
- Receive mobile alerts prior to your time expiring.
- Extend your parking time remotely, up to the maximum time allowed per posted signage.
- Pay or reserve private or public garage or lot parking
- Find out what’s happening in metro Detroit
- Get turn-by turn navigation
- Find your vehicle
- Is there a fee to use ParkDetroit?
A convenience fee will be applied to each transaction. ParkDetroit will inform you of the convenience fee and you will be asked to confirm a transaction before you are charged.
- Where is ParkDetroit offered?
ParkDetroit is offered at all participating public and private garages and lots including on-street parking in the City of Detroit. The ParkDetroit app and website maps will show all participation locations.
- How do I get started?
Getting started is easy! All you need is a credit or debit card. Choose one of the methods below:
- iPhone and Android users: Download the free ParkDetroit app to your device.
- Blackberry or Windows phones users: Sign up by visiting ParkDetroit.us online or from your mobile browser.
- Your wireless carrier’s message and data rates may apply.
- How do I get the app?
- The free ParkDetroit app is available for download in the App Store and at Google Play.
- Can I download the app on my tablet?
OS users can download the ParkDetroit app on their iPad, but a valid mobile phone number is still required to create an account and use the app. Android users cannot download the app on a tablet at this time due to limitations within the Android platform.
- How do I extend my parking with ParkDetroit?
One of the benefits of ParkDetroit is the freedom to extend your parking session from a remote location, like a restaurant, office, or residence, up to the maximum time allowed. If you’re using ParkDetroit and your phone has service, you will receive an alert when you have 10 minutes left on your parking session. You can monitor how much time is left on your session at any time by opening up the app. (For more information, see Why is it that sometimes I can extend parking and sometimes I can’t?)
- Can I still use the meters?
Yes. If you choose, you can still pay in the traditional manner by using the meters.
Without paying at the meter, how do parking enforcement officers know that I have paid for parking?
Each time you use ParkDetroit, you will enter your License Plate Number that identifies your parking session. Enforcement personnel determine if you have paid by looking up your License Plate Number Do not place your phone in the windshield as proof of payment.
- How can I deactivate my account?
You can deactivate your account at any time by visiting ParkDetroit.us. Once you log in, select the Menu (upper left corner icon with three horizontal bars); click on Profile and then click the Deactivate Account button. Complete the short process to deactivate your account. The remaining parking funds in your account will be refunded to you, less any amounts used to pay your parking transactions, if any. Be aware that once you deactivate your account, it can’t be reactivated. If you wish to use ParkDetroit again, you will need to create a new account.
Rates & Fees
- What are the hourly parking rates?
Hourly parking in Detroit is $1 per hour, Monday through Saturday, between the hours of 7AM-10PM local time. Payment is not required between the hours of 10PM-7AM, as well as Sundays. From 7AM-6PM, you can purchase up to a maximum or 2 hours but after 6PM, you can purchase up to 4 hours of parking. There are signs posted in parking locations with rate information and information on parking regulations and restrictions.
- Observed Holidays
Please note that ParkDetroit observes the following holidays, which means payment is not required on these days.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Eve
- Are there additional charges besides the parking rate?
When parking time is purchased through ParkDetroit, a convenience fee is charged for each transaction. ParkDetroit will inform you of the convenience fee and you will be asked to confirm a transaction before you are charged.
- Do other cities offer mobile payment for metered parking? How much do they charge?
Many U.S. cities are adopting mobile payment systems for metered parking, including Chicago, San Jose, Louisville, Omaha and Salt Lake City. Typical convenience fees range from 25 to 45 cents.
- How does ParkDetroit bill me?
You can pay for your parking sessions in ParkDetroit by an individual Credit/Debit card.
- Transactions completed using an individual Credit/Debit card will show up on your card statements as individual line items and will be deducted from your account once the parking session is completed.
- Does ParkDetroit require a minimum purchase amount for a transaction?
Yes. ParkDetroit requires a minimum purchase of 1 hour.
Using the ParkDetroit App
- How do I know if ParkDetroit is available where I parked?
ParkDetroit is currently available in participating off-street garages and most surface lots in the City of Detroit. Just look for the ParkDetroit logo or identify locations via the app or website maps.
- Can I use ParkDetroit at metered parking outside of the City of Detroit?
No. ParkDetroit is currently only available in the City of Detroit. In the future, additional cities may be added.
- If I don’t have my mobile phone with me, can I use a different phone to pay for parking?
Yes. Although your phone number, thus your phone, is linked to ParkDetroit for security and verification reasons, you can start another account on a different phone and pay for parking with the new phone number. You may also use your email address to login on a different phone. If you don’t have a mobile phone with you, make a payment at the meter nearest to your vehicle. Additionally, if you’re with someone who has a ParkDetroit account, they can pay for your parking by simply paying for your session and you can repay the favor in the future!
- Why is it that sometimes I can extend parking and sometimes I can’t?
You may be unable to extend parking if you are outside the zone’s hours of operation or due to a parking restriction (Such as beyond the maximum parking time limits allowed in that zone). When you purchase parking, you are not permitted to purchase more time than the allowed length of stay. Make sure you check for rates, parking restrictions on the meters and permanent or temporary signage in order to avoid a ticket.
Like many apps or mobile services, ParkDetroit requires a good cellular or Wi-Fi signal. The connectivity of your personal devices is not under our control, and if you experience failure in wireless service, you will be unable to extend your parking session remotely. In such circumstances, please pay for parking at the meter nearest to your vehicle.
- Can I change my notification alert to something other than 15 minutes?
Yes, you can change your parking session reminder anywhere from 5 minutes, up to 59 minutes. This can be changed by going to Menu->Preferences->Parking session notification within the ParkDetroit app.
- I parked using the wrong zone number; can I change it?
You cannot change a zone number once your parking session has started, so remember to review screens before confirming your sessions. Make sure you check for rates, parking restrictions on the meter and permanent or temporary signage in order to avoid a ticket.
- How do I know if my parking time was processed?
The ParkDetroit app or mobile web session screen shows the start and end times of your parking session. Additionally, a countdown timer will show the remaining amount of time to your current parking session at any point in time.
Accounts & Payments
- How do I pay for parking using ParkDetroit?
You can pay for your parking sessions in ParkDetroit with an Credit/Debit card.
Transactions completed using an individual Credit/Debit card will show up on your card statements as individual line items and will be deducted from your account once the parking session is completed.
- Can I use ParkDetroit without having to set up an account?
No. In order to use ParkDetroit, you must set up an account first.
- Can I use ParkDetroit without having to link my credit or debit card?
No. In order to use ParkDetroit, you must link a credit or debit card to your account.
- Can I access my parking history? How do I get receipts?
Your ParkDetroit transactions are saved and can be accessed in two ways:
- To email a receipt of a parking session directly from the app, go to My sessions Settings, followed by clicking on the history tab at the top. Choose a recent session and select ‘Send’. This will send a receipt to the email address associated with the ParkDetroit account.
- To view the entire parking history of your account, you may log in to ParkDetroit.us from a computer and retrieve historical receipts as needed.
- Is it safe to make payments via ParkDetroit?
- How does ParkDetroit use my email?
We use your email address only to send you important information regarding your ParkDetroit account.
- How can I deactivate my account?
If you’d like to deactivate your account, please contact support by opening up the ParkDetroit app and going to Menu->Contact us. Be aware that once you deactivate your account, it cannot be reactivated. If you wish to use ParkDetroit again, you will need to create a new account.
- The app doesn’t work. I’m not getting notification alerts. It’s slow.
Like many apps or mobile services, ParkDetroit requires a good cellular or Wi-Fi signal. If you experience any issues with the app, check your phone’s coverage status and/or Wi-Fi signal first. The connectivity of your personal device is not under our control, and we cannot be responsible for any failure to receive a notification alert or inability to extend a parking session due to failure in wireless service or malfunction with your wireless carrier.
Also, please be aware that sessions originated from the app, whether on iPhone, iPad or an Android device, receive notifications on the app and on that specific device.
If you continue to experience problems, let us know by Menu->Contact us on your app or on ParkDetroit.us and then restart the app. We’ll investigate it as soon as possible. Please remember that if you’re unable to pay for parking through ParkDetroit for any reason, you’re still required to pay for metered parking and should do so at the meter nearest to your car.
- Why can’t I add more time to my parking session?
If you are unable to add additional time to your parking stay, it is likely that:
- You have reached the maximum parking time allowed for that location (Please See: Why is it that sometimes I can extend and sometimes I can’t?).
- You do not have to pay as no payment is required (check posted signs for hours of operation).
- You have parked in a restricted location (check posted signs for special restrictions like parking during rush hour).
- Why didn’t I receive a notification alerting me that my time is about to expire?
Like many apps or mobile services, ParkDetroit requires a good cellular or Wi-Fi signal. Check your phone’s coverage status and/or Wi-Fi signal. We cannot be responsible for any failure to get a notification alert or extend parking because of failures in wireless service or due to failure or malfunctions with your wireless carrier.
Also, go to Menu > Preferences and make sure that your Parking session notification option is enabled. You can also check your phone’s Push Notification settings and make sure that your phone has service. If you are experiencing any problems, let us know by visiting Menu->Contact us on your app or on ParkDetroit.us. We’ll investigate as soon as possible.
- How do I pay if the meter is not working?
Locate another meter on the same street/zone and proceed to pay for the parking session.
- My phone battery has run out and I can’t pay for my parking with ParkDetroit. How can I pay for my parking?
Return to the location where your vehicle is parked and pay at the meter.
- My name and/or account information has changed. How can I change it?
You can change your personal information by opening up the menu on the ParkDetroit app, followed by clicking on your email address associated with the account towards the top of the screen. From there, you can change your phone number, password, as well as your personal data, including your first and last name.
- I have a new phone number. What do I do?
If you have a new phone number, you will need to register a new account for that phone number. Deactivate your current account online at ParkDetroit.us and then sign up for a new account.
- Can I add another phone number to my account?
No. Each account is connected to a single phone number.
- I have received multiple charges on my bank account after I used the app. I believe I am a victim of fraud. What can you do?
Contact the bank associated with your credit/debit card immediately if you believe you may be a victim of fraud. In addition, please call us immediately at 313-925-7860 so that we can help you determine if the charges are legitimate.
- I’m trying to create an account, but it keeps saying “User Exists.” I’ve never signed up before. Help!
Call us at 313-925-7860 so that we can help you sort out the situation.
- May I get a refund for any unused time?
No. Refunds for unused time are not available. Make sure you check for parking restrictions on the pay box and for permanent or temporary signage in order to avoid a ticket.
For Mobile Browser & Non-smartphone Users
- Am I charged for text messages that I receive from ParkDetroit?
ParkDetroit does not charge for text messages we send to you, but text messages are subject to standard message and data rates charged by your wireless service provider.
- How can I change my text message preferences?
You can manage your text message preferences in the Preferences section on your online account.
- How do I stop text messages?
You can stop text message notifications by visiting the Preferences section on your online account and disabling text messages.
- Do I have to sign up for text messages to park?
If you don’t want to receive text messages you can use our conveniently located kiosks to purchase parking.
If you purchase parking with ParkDetroit.us either on a desktop or mobile web browser, you can manage your text message preferences for expiration alerts by visiting the Preferences section on your online account. If you choose not to receive text message expiration alerts, we cannot remind you of when your parking expires.
You do not need to sign up for text messages to use ParkDetroit.
- How many text messages will I receive?
The number of text messages you receive will depend on the number of parking transactions that you enter into and the method you use to purchase parking.
- What else should I know about text messages I may receive from ParkDetroit?
Text messages are subject to your wireless carrier’s standard message and data rates. To stop text messages, visit the Preferences section on your online account. For help, call 313-925-7860. If you don’t want to receive texts please use our conveniently located kiosks to purchase parking.
Help & Support
- How do I get support?
Using the app or website, go to Menu > Report a Problem and send us the details of your issue. If you need immediate assistance, please call ParkDetroit at 313-925-7860.